23 May 2007

Season 5: Redux (5X02)

Writer: Chris Carter
Director: Kim Manners

Twenty-four hours before Scully identified Mulder's body in his apartment, Mulder receives a tip from Kritschgau that he is being watched. After discovering a pinhole in his ceiling he encounters Scott Ostelhoff spying on him from the apartment above, after a short scuffle a shot rings out. Mulder tells Scully that he killed Ostelhoff while he has trying to destroy a record of phone calls he made to the Bureau.

They conclude that their own agency is behind a cover up and that they are unwitting pawns in the conspiracy. Mulder persuades Scully to help him fake his own death in an attempt to uncover the truth. After Scully goes to Mulder's apartment to identify 'his' body, she traces the number that Ostelhoff was calling to the same exchange that Assistant Director Skinner is on. Test results on the ice core sample taken from the mountain reveal a new life form. When Scully compares this new organism with her own DNA, they match, she concludes that her cancer is a result of being exposed to the organism.

The Cigarette Smoking Man tells his fellow conspirators that he does not believe Agent Mulder it dead. Meanwhile Mulder uses Ostelhoff's ID card to break in to the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency facility and finds a metallic vial that may contain a cure for Scully, only to have the Lone Gunman discover it is just de-ionized water. However it appears all Mulder's effort was in vain when Scully collapses while presenting evidence to an FBI inquiry panel.

Notes:
For the first time in the series a brief synopsis of previous events is given at the very beginning of the episode, as in "Previously, on the X-Files..."

''The X-Files'' upgrades to Widescreen from this Season.

The premiere also features an altered tagline, this one being 'All Lies Lead To The Truth', symbolic of Mulder's journey of following the path of lies to find Scully's cure.

The vault that Mulder accesses at the DOD is the same seen in the ''Pilot'' and "Erlemeyer Flask'' of Season 1, where Cigarette Smoking Man stores the implant and the alien foetus.

The card Mulder finds in the file cabinet lists Scully's birthdate as 2/23/64.

Quotes:
Michael Kritschgau: Hey! How'd you get in here? (Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency)
Mulder: Through the front door.
Michael Kritschgau: You can't bypass security.
Mulder: You can when you have the card.
(He holds up Scott Ostelhoff's security card)

Scully: Mulder? What are you doing? Why are you sitting in my bedroom in the dark?
Mulder: It was too crowded in my apartment, I couldn't sleep.
Scully: I'm not kidding, Mulder.
Mulder: Good, 'cause neither am I. There's a dead man on the floor of my apartment and it's only a matter of time before he starts to stink the place up.

Scully: If science leads me to these ends, it is not lost on me that the tool with which I've come to depend on absolutely cannot save or protect me, but only bring into focus the darkness that lies ahead.

Mulder: In four years I have shared my partner's passionate search for the truth and if my part has been a deception, I have never seen her integrity waver or her honor compromised. But now I ask her to lie to the people lying to us, a dangerous lie to find the truth, to find the men who would be revealed at its enemy, as our enemy, as the enemy within.

Scully: Mulder, how long has this been going on?
Mulder: Maybe since the beginning, since you joined me on the X-Files.
Scully: That would mean that for 4 years we've been nothing more than pawns in a game, that it was a lie from the beginning. Mulder, these men... You give them your faith and you're supposed to trust them with your life.
Mulder: There are those who can be trusted. What I need to know is who among them is not. I will not allow this treason to prosper, not if they've done this to you.
Scully: Mulder, we can't go to the Bureau making these accusations.
Mulder: No, but as they lie to us, we can lie to them. A lie to find the truth.

CSM: You've been watching Mulder. You had a man on him. No one bothered to inform me of this.
Elder: I know nothing of this man.
CSM: I will not be cut out like this. You need my expertise. Is this being run from the DOD?
Elder: If it is, I am unaware of it.
CSM: I've always kept Mulder in check. I put this whole thing together. I created Mulder.
Elder: Agent Mulder is dead. Our FBI source confirmed it this morning. Mulder killed himself. Mulder was an asset. Without his partner, you may have underestimated his fragility.
CSM: I've never underestimated Mulder. I still don't.

Clip from ''Redux''

Episode Number: 98
Season Number: 5
First Aired: Sunday, November 2, 1997
Production Code: 5X02

No comments: